Biking is a great way to get exercise and fresh air, but it’s important to be aware of safety while riding.
Here are some tips to help you stay safe while biking:
- Wear a Helmet: A helmet is the most important piece of safety gear for a bicyclist. Always wear a helmet when riding, and make sure it fits properly.
- Be Visible: Wear bright, reflective clothing so you can be seen by drivers. At night, use a front light and a rear reflector or light. Obey the
- Rules of the Road: Ride in the same direction as traffic and follow all traffic laws.
- Use Hand Signals: Let drivers know your intentions by using hand signals.
- Watch for Road Hazards: Be aware of potholes, glass, and other debris on the road.
- Be cautious at Intersections: Cross streets carefully, looking both ways and yielding to traffic.
- Ride with Traffic, Not Against It: Riding against traffic is dangerous because drivers aren’t expecting you to be coming from that direction.
- Be Prepared for Inclement Weather: If it’s raining or the roads are icy, consider postponing your ride.
If you do ride in wet weather, be extra cautious and allow for more stopping time. With a bit of caution and preparation, you can enjoy a safe bike ride.